Our program is designed to increase students’ awareness of their own physical fitness, allows them to test the limits of their physical capabilities, and introduces a variety of exercise and dietary routines to promote a lifetime of health and well-being.
Over the course of the school year, students participate in a physical educational program designed to provide the basis for a wide range of learning experiences. With an emphasis on healthy choices, units are characterized by locomotor skills, body awareness, endurance, and “Pono”. Every class focuses on stretching routines, practice, skill building, and healthy competition.
Guest teachers, representing our community partners, are asked in to provide exposure for students to a variety of community health and fitness opportunities. Community partner activities may include zumba, yoga, rugby, flag football, or karate. All students participate in our multiage Makahiki event in November, with physical education classes leading up to this field day centering on Makahiki game skill development.
Health and Fitness skills and activities may include:
- Basic Movement Exploration
- Body Awareness
- Organizational Skills
- Fitness Challenge/Testing
- Developing Simple Cardio Routines
- Using Equipment
- Basic Gymnastic Skills
- Using Bean Bags, Balls, Hoops, Ropes, Streamers, Parachute
- Running, Catching, Throwing, Kicking, Targeting, Dodging, etc.
- Fitness Routines
- Rhythmic Activities
- Circuit Training & CrossFit
- Sports Introduction – Rules, Theories, Skills, Practice
- Sports Concentrations – Soccer, Kickball, Rugby, Football
- Sports Concentrations – Volleyball, Basketball, Softball, Track & Field